This page is under regular edits and updates.
Dear Reader, you must be aware that the Wikipedia information page on Homeopathy does not represent the true definition of the homeopathic system of medicine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy). Rather than promoting neutrality of information, the write-up on Homeopathy is based on misinformation, scepticism, and biased references. As many people rely on Wikipedia for information, they are left with a misleading and incorrect impression of Homeopathy. Wikipedia also has disabled editing on this information page. For this a petition on Change.org was initiated which has received 40,000+ signatures till date (http://chng.it/cfv8JkHkqL).
The AudeSapere intends to provide the authentic and upto date information on Homeopathy, therefore, the following write up is being developed in consultation with experts. Please contribute to this page and spread a word around.
What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a therapeutic science of symptom similarity based on the axiom of “Like Cures Like”. It is placed as part of healthcare system of many countries being alternative, complementary or mainstream system of medicine. It was founded in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann. Homeopathy is a therapeutic system of medicine based on the philosophy of like cures like. Homeopathy is a form of holistic system of medicine, wherein the individual is given advantage over disease. It has gained a substantial popularity all over world due to its clinical efficacy, and scientific basis.
- Homeopathy is currently practiced in over 80 countries, and has legal recognition as an individual system of medicine in 42 countries and is recognized as a part of complementary and alternative medicine in 28 countries [Ref].
- It is officially recognized and integrated in the healthcare system of India, having largest number of practicing homeopaths and biggest infrastructure of homeopathy.
What are the sources of Homeopathic Medicines?
- Homeopathic medicines are prepared from natural substances like plants, minerals, animals and also from various other sources like chemicals, radiations etc. [Ref]
- These medicines are prepared by a special technique called potentization in which the original substance is diluted and energized in a stepwise manner. [Ref], [Ref]
How does it Act?
- The homeopathic practice takes into account the holistic approach towards a diseased individual, and involves holistic approach to manage/cure it.
- Homeopathic remedies stimulate the body’s natural, self-healing power to repair and heal itself.
- Homeopathy has proven to be safe for every age group, and may also be used safely in babies, women and elderly.
- There are various research studies that indicate that homeopathic remedies are safe and non-toxic.
Please also see, “Science Behind Homeopathy (How Homeopathy Works)”
Types of homeopathic treatments
In Homeopathy a patient is dealt in following ways:
Applicability of Homeopathy
- Homeopathy has been able to treat various common clinical conditions and also a proven role in various subclinical conditions [Ref], [Ref], [Ref], [Ref]
- It is also used to improve quality of life in patients suffering from incurable and terminal illnesses as a complementary and add on therapy.
Research in Homeopathy
- Extensive research has been undertaken in homeopathy.
- The organized and reported research dates back to 60’s
- This fact is evident by increasing number of publications of research papers in homeopathic and CAM journals, which are published during last few decades.
- Research studies have been undertaken on almost every aspect be it clinical, fundamental or applied.
- Some of the major works include discovery of homeopathic nanoparticles by IIT Bombay team; Gene Regulatory Hypothesis by Khuda Bukhsh et al; FTIR studies by Sukul et al; Genetic pathway (Immunomodulatory) studies by Gaurisanker Sa (Bose Institute); works by Nobel Laureate Luc Montaigner etc.
Homeopathy is gaining popularity
Famous people who have been known to use homeopathic medicines include David Beckham, Usain Bolt, Cher, Cindy Crawford, Pamela Anderson, Paul McCartney, Tina Turner, Monica Bellucci, Prince Charles, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Charles Dickens, W.B. Yeats, William Thackeray, Benjamin Disraeli, Pope Pius X, Louisa May Alcott, Susan B. Anthony, William Lloyd Garrison, Daniel Webster, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, William Seward, artist Jackson Pollock, W.C. Fields, and former American Presidents James Garfield and William McKinley.
Other Resources and Links
The Snooks: About Homeopathy
You can suggest edits to this page, including references and text. Please fill the below form to submit your feedback for specific edits, additions, references etc.